HUMAN DEVELOPMENT: PRESCHOOL
- SCHOOL AGE
Understanding stages of development is vital for guiding children to
make informed decisions. Due to a need for highly qualified
educators, careers in this area are in high demand. Human
development knowledge is essential for individuals seeking a career in
education, health, medical and human service professions, and many other
careers involving working with children and youth.
2008 Human Development Class
Grade level: 9, 10, 11, or
- Human Development Theories
- Influences on Human Growth and Development
- Prenatal Development, pregnancy, and child-birth
- Physical, intellectual, emotional, and social development of
infants, toddlers, and preschool through school-age children.
- Preschool and school-age theories in practice.
- Creation of childcare settings
- Practices, regulations, and opportunities in the child care
- Special topics related to childhood concerns, including childhood
diseases, special needs, temperament and abuse and neglect, etc.
- First aid/emergency training
Mac - A Hoop Dream
- Assignment #1: JENGA JOURNAL: How is Jenga like Human Development? Why is it important to study
- Assignment #2: Pretend it is your
100th birthday. Write a letter to yourself at the age you are now
including everything that you have and hope to accomplish in your life.
- Assignment #3:
Students will create a
questionnaire for parents or guardians about milestones in their
lives and will them create a visual timeline of their lives. They
will then write a journal detailing how their timeline is similar to
or different from their peers’. (One option would be to create a
timeline of your life at
You must turn in your completed questionnaire, timeline visual, and
Indicator #1: Analyze
growth and development of preschool through school-age children.
HDPS 1.7 Distinguish
career paths within early childhood education child services, preschool,
and school-aged education.
- Assignment #1: Career Project
- Use Career Cruising and MyLife to investigate career
opportunities working with children.
- Invite staff from a child care facility to discuss their roles
and functions within their facility.
Child Abuse & Neglect are issues that affect all
career paths of Human Development. Complete the assignments below
to learn more about the abuse & neglect of children.
HDPS 1.1 Defend best
practices in planning for early childhood education and child services.
HDPT 1.1 / HDPT 1.2
Students will understand that knowledge of best
practices guides caregivers in meeting the needs of children.
1. How do best practices promote growth and
development in children?
2. How could
best practices change a child's future?
Nature Vs. Nurture
Today, we are going to look at furthering your understanding of
individual differences in normal development and how family, heredity,
and environment play a role. Learning about why and how we
develop in studying human development will serve to help us distinguish
between individual variation and potential problems. How do best
practices promote growth & development in children?
Growth & Development of Children
- Assignment #4: Create a needs (food, clothing, discipline, supervision, play,
etc.) checklist for the growth and development of children.
Human Development Theorists
Theories of development are sometimes seen as too technical to be
useful. However, human development theories can give us a lot of
insight into why people are the way they are. This lesson will
give you background on some well-known theories and theorists in human
development and answer this question. How can theories of
development help us understand children's behavior and our own behavior.
Divide the class into small groups and give each group a
children's puzzle. Before handing out the puzzles, remove one or
two important pieces from each puzzle. Ask the students to put the
puzzles together. When they finish, discuss how important it is to
have all of the pieces in order to see the complete picture of the
puzzle. This relates to what we are studying. The
information about Child Development Theorists is vital to understanding
how children grow and develop as individuals. Without the
knowledge of the theorists our understanding of children's growth and
development would be as incomplete as the puzzles they put together.
We need all of the information to make the connections.
How did you do? How did you solve the puzzles? Did you
use past experiences? trial and error? guesses? Throughout history,
people have tried to find out how we learn and solve problems and why we
behave the way we do. This lesson focuses on cognitive and
social/emotional development theorists and theories.
- Assignment #5: Complete the WebQuest worksheets for
Development Theories Assignment
and contrast human development theories (class discussion)
a reflection that applies a theory to your personal development.
Types of Development
- Assignment #6: Complete Types of Development Worksheets
- Assignment #7: Doctor's Office Poster Assignment
Assessment Methods to Observe Children's Growth & Development
- Investigate assessment methods to observe children's growth and
Growth and Development of Infants and Toddlers
HDPT 2.1 Examine prenatal development,
Pregnancy, and child birth to determine healthy growth and delivery of a
HDPT 2.2 Analyze appropriate growth in the
physical, emotional, social, and intellectual development of infants.
HDPT 2.3 Distinguish appropriate growth in
the physical, emotional, social, and intellectual development of
- Create a presentation illustrating prenatal habits that may lead
to problems for the baby and mother.
- Design a website depicting growth and development of infants and
- Participate in a tour of a birthing facility to understand
options for birth.
- Develop a presentation or teaching tool related to prenatal
- Care for infant simulator and analyze data results.
- Analyze case studies or video clips to determine growth and
development of infants.
- Create a comparison chart and summary of the growth and
development of two different infants.
- Point out infant reflexes by viewing various examples.
- Distinguish toddlers at play and write an assessment of their
growth and development
- Create a questionanaire for parents of toddlers.
- Identify and point out gross and fine motor skills by observing
- Illustrate a safe and healthy environment for optimal toddler
Growth & Development of Preschoolers
HDPS 1.2 Illustrate appropriate growth in the physical, emotional,
social, and intellectual development of preschoolers.
- Write a summary of developmental stages of preschoolers in a
- Design a publication or website for parents of preschoolers.
- Design a developmentally appropriate product for preschoolers.
- Prepare and implement an activity with a preschool-aged child or
group of children
- Observe toddlers at play
and write an assessment of their growth and development
- Create a questionnaire
- Physical Development from One to Three
- Lesson 1- Physical Development
- Lesson 2- Defining Gross and Fine Motor Skills
- Lesson 3- Exploring Gross and Fine Motor Skills
- Lesson 4- Basic Nutritional Needs for Children Ages One to Three
- Lesson 5- Nutritional Newsletter Research Day
Growth & Development of School Age
HDPS 1.3 Illustrate appropriate growth in
the physical, emotional, social, and intellectual development of school
- Evaluate case studies of growth and development of school age
- Create developmentally appropriate activities to enhance each
area of growth and development.
- Prepare and implement an activity with a school-aged child or
group of children.
Safe & Healthy Learning Environments
HDPS 1.4 Organize a safe and healthy learning environment for youth.
HDPS 1.5 Complete a safety
- Pass a certified CPR training course with an 85% or higher
- Solve scenarios that deal with child care accidents and health
- Identify blood borne pathogens.
- Interview director or staff member from a state approved
facility that complies with state regulations.
External Support Systems
Judge external support systems that provide services for parents and
- Have students create a community resource brochure about
resources and services available to families.
- Summarize current laws and policies related to childcare
- Compare and contrast the childcare facilities within the
& Psychological Birth Order Webquest
personal health family tree. (Go to the American Family Tree Website at the link
below and begin a family tree of your own.) You will need to
conduct interviews with family members to determine health problems
that run in your family; cancer, heart disease, arthritis, althzeimers,
American Family Tree: http://www.pbs.org/americanfamily/tree/#
The 2007-2008 Child Development Class with their "Baby Eggs"
(Family Portrait). After studying the positives and negatives of different
aspects related to having children, the class had to take care of their
"baby" and write a letter to it describing how they would take care of
2007-2008 Child Development Class with their babies.
to Right: Cody Reed, Amanda Genzler, Christina Crain, Ryan Harris, Cody Ramsey,
Brigette Nemec, Sina Tueffers, Zeb Husted)